【名著听读】海底两万里 II

 

南极IRUSHEDUPontotheplatform.我飞跑到平台上去。Yes,opensea...

南极


I RUSHED UP onto the platform.

我飞跑到平台上去。

Yes, open sea!

是的!自由通行的海。

Barely a few sparse floes, some moving icebergs; a sea stretching into the distance; hosts of birds in the air and myriads of fish under the waters, which varied from intense blue to olive green depending on the depth.

近边只有一些散乱的冰块和浮为的冰层,远方一片大海,空中是群鸟世界;水底下有千亿万的鱼类,水的颜色随深浅的不同,现出从深浓的靛蓝至橄览的青绿。
The thermometer marked 3 degrees centigrade.

温度表指着摄氏三度。

It was as if a comparative springtime had been locked up behind that Ice Bank, whose distant masses were outlined on the northern horizon.

对被关在这冰山后的天气来说,这好像是相对的春天,远远的冰群在北方天际露出面影。

Are we at the pole? I asked the captain, my heart pounding.

我们是在南极吗?我问船长,同时心跳动不止。

I've no idea, he answered me. At noon we'll fix our position.

我不知道。他回答我。中午我没来测量方位。

But will the sun show through this mist?

可是,太阳能穿过这些云雾吗?

I said, staring at the grayish sky.

我眼看着灰色的天空说。
No matter how faintly it shines, it will be enough for me, the captain replied.

只要露出一点就够了。船长回答。

To the south, ten miles from the Nautilus, a solitary islet rose to a height of 200 meters.

距诺第留斯号南方二海里,有一座孤立的小岛浮出,高两百米。

We proceeded toward it, but cautiously, because this sea could have been strewn with reefs.

我们向小岛走去,但很小心,因为这海中可能各处都有暗礁。

In an hour we had reached the islet.

一小时后,我们到达小岛。

Two hours later we had completed a full circle around it.

又过两小时,我们就绕了小岛一周。

It measured four to five miles in circumference.

它周围四海里至五海里长。



A narrow channel separated it from a considerable shore, perhaps a continent whose limits we couldn't see.

一条狭窄水道把它跟一片广大陆地分开,或者这是一个大洲,我们还不能望见它的界限。

The existence of this shore seemed to bear out Commander Maury's hypotheses.

这片陆地的存在好像证明莫利的假设是对的。

In essence, this ingenious American has noted that between the South Pole and the 60th parallel, the sea is covered with floating ice of dimensions much greater than any found in the north Atlantic.

的确,这位高明的美国学者指出,在南极和纬度60度中间,海上是浮动的冰群,这些冰群非常巨大,在大西洋北部从不能碰到。

From this fact he drew the conclusion that the Antarctic Circle must contain considerable shores, since icebergs can't form on the high seas but only along coastlines.

根据这个事实,他得出这个结论,南极圈中藏有大片的陆地,因为冰山不能在大海中间形成,只在近陆地的边岸才能存在。

According to his calculations, this frozen mass enclosing the southernmost pole forms a vast ice cap whose width must reach 4,000 kilometers.

按照他的计算,遮覆南极的冰群形成一个球形的圆盖,这盖的宽大可能是四千公里。



Meanwhile, to avoid running aground, the Nautilus halted three cable lengths from a strand crowned by superb piles of rocks.

可是,诺第留斯号怕搁浅,停在相距六米左右的滩前,有一片雄壮的岩石层高耸在滩上。

The skiff was launched to sea.

小艇放到海中去。

Two crewmen carrying instruments, the captain, Conseil, and I were on board.

船长、他的两个船员带着各种器械,康塞尔和我,我们一齐上小艇去。

It was ten o'clock in the morning. I hadn't seen Ned Land.

时间是早晨十点、我没有看见尼德·兰。

No doubt, in the presence of the South Pole, the Canadian hated having to eat his words.

加拿大人一定不愿意承认南极是在他面前。

A few strokes of the oar brought the skiff to the sand, where it ran aground.

桨划了几下,小艇就到了沙滩上,搁浅下来。

Just as Conseil was about to jump ashore, I held him back.

康塞尔正要下地的时候,我把他拉住了。



Sir, I told Captain Nemo, to you belongs the honor of first setting foot on this shore.

先生,我对尼摩船长说,第一次脚踩这陆地的光荣应该属于您。

Yes, sir, the captain replied, and if I have no hesitation in treading this polar soil, it's because no human being until now has left a footprint here.

对,先生,船长回答,我所以一点不犹豫地脚踩这极圈的土地,是因为直到现在,还没有一个人留下他的脚迹在这陆地上。

So saying, he leaped lightly onto the sand.

说过这话,他轻快地跳在沙滩上。

His heart must have been throbbing with intense excitement.

紧张激动的情绪使他的心跳得厉害。

He scaled an overhanging rock that ended in a small promontory and there, mute and motionless, with crossed arms and blazing eyes, he seemed to be laying claim to these southern most regions.

他攀上一块岩石、倾斜的岩石尽处是一个小呷,在呷上,他交叉着两只手,热情的眼光,不动,静戳。他好像取得这些南极地方的所有权了。

After spending five minutes in this trance, he turned to us.

在这种极乐情绪中过了五分钟后,他向我们转过身来。
温馨提示

【名著听读】版块的设置,是为了给大家推荐一些英文经典作品,提高大家的英语学习兴趣,因此每部名著只发布两篇,仅作导读。


天学网

进步每天看得见

http://www.up366.com/

长按二维码关注天学网


    关注 天学网


微信扫一扫关注公众号

0 个评论

要回复文章请先登录注册